Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Women in the workplace...such emotional creatures.

I am not a first time blogger, but this is my first post under this account.  Allow me to share my current thoughts...

I'm blogging to you from my cubicle here at work.  Yes, I should be doing work, but I have a lot to say at the moment, and can't share it with the people around me :-) catch my drift?  Feel free to sit back, relax, and enjoy the read.  This may serve as a great time-killer. Key word: may.

Here's a little background of my work surroundings: We have about 22 employees on staff.  Out of the 22 we have on staff, only six of them are men.  Imagine if you will, working with 16 women between the ages of 25-66.  The young adult women are mostly married, without children, and do not like working here. The middle aged women are menopausal (not taking medication), have been married for years, have children as old as I am (or older), and do like working here depending on their mood. 

Now imagine all the behaviors that one woman envelopes throughout everyday life...especially depending on if it's that time of the month or not.  Now multiply that by 16, add in her everyday struggles at home (spouse, kids, finances, etc.), plus her insecurities (weight gain, wrinkles, etc.) , and don't forget to add in life's unexpected happenings (death of a loved one, return of an old flame, car accident, pregnant teenage daughter, etc.).  Needless to say, I work in an environment full of emotional women.  We have our good days & bad days here, just like any other office I suppose. 

However, it wouldn't hurt every now and then for these women to gain control over their emotions.  We have 24 hours in a day to work with, 8 of those are spent sleeping (give or take), another 8 of those hours is spent here in the work place, and the other 8? Well that's on you however you chose to spend it.  Since we're in the office 8 hours a day, I'd appreciate it if my female co-workers would do their best to not bring their issues here with them.  I can always tell when one of my co-workers is in a funk because she's typing hard on her keyboard, slamming books/papers/pens & any other slammable item on her desk, she walks sternly, hold no smile, gives short-answers, snaps when asked a simple question, sighs heavily every 3 seconds, avoids eye contact, and the list goes on.

It's ANNOYING.  I understand you may not be in he best of moods, but sheeeeesh, save all that energy for the gym sister girl!  Slam things in the comfort of your own home, not the office.  Just because you're having a bad day doesn't mean we all have to know about it & have a bad day alongside you.  I refuuuuuse to join any "throw-a-fit" pity parties while at work because quite simply, the office is already a not so pleasurable place to be when you live in sunny southern California. Therefore, I chose to make the BEST inside these four walls for the eight hours I have to spend here because as soon as I can clock out I will be enjoying the sun for the 2 and a half hours I have left until it sets. 

I honestly believe flashing your mood swings at work is a bit unprofessional.  I will not be looking to working on a project with an Emo-Emily or a Pity-Party Patty.  That woman is normally the last one I'd team up with.  Since most women are discerning anyways that even if you didn't emotionally act up, another woman could tell something's up.  Women have an intuition unlike men.  We know when another woman is going through something even if we barely know them.  That's just how God designed us. Because we have such great intuition, we end up asking our co-workers what's wrong or if everything's okay.  We ask those questions without all the snappy drama. 

This is what I WISH I could say to my overly dramatic & emotional co-workers:  CHILL OUT HOMEGIRL.  The women who GENUINELY care for what you're going through will discern it & will ask.  Acting childishly to let everyone know you're having a bad day attracts negative attention & opens up room for people to gossip about you.  On the other hand, whatever is bugging you outside of work, you've go to learn how to LEAVE it outside of work.  Don't bring it into the work place with you because it'll affect your performance & your effectiveness as an employee.  The battle is won in your mind & in your thoughts.  If you wake up on the wrong side of the bed and head to work with that wrong-side-of-the-bed mentality, chances are, you're going to have a bad day.  You've got to challenge yourself to CHANGE YOUR MINDSET when negativity starts tugging on you so early in the morning.  Never let your emotions get the best of you...get a handle on them.  Trust, there will always be a window of opportunity in those 24 hours of your day when you can vent & let out all your frustrations in a healthy way & with the right person(s).

Please believe me when I say....I'm blogging about this because this WAS me.  I used to be that overly-dramatic, extra-emotional, didn't care to disguise her feelings, kind of woman in the work place.  I blog to you from experience & experience only.  Prayerfully, IF it's God will, I can share my experience with the women here. 

4 comments:

  1. Great read, it's refreshing to read from inside the mind of Ivandora! :) Hope and pray your coworker is well and that her attitude begins to adjust when you continue to shine God's light on her, sis. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. 'Preciate it Mrs. 958 formerly known as Ms. 957 ha! I looove it (:

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS. I am trying to figure out how to follow your blog posts... you may not have that option allowed, until then, I'll just have to check back regularly lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Omg...how do allow followers? Help! LoL!

    ReplyDelete